Sunday, June 24, 2012

Whats your eating style?

Anywhere you look there is a new fad diet system, program, or product that is supposed to promise a quick fix to your weight loss needs. For me, I am not about the fad diets that usually are only good for a quick temporary weight loss that easily comes back. I think that if you truly want to change your body and health, you need to change your lifestyle. Just changing for a temporary amount of time is only going to give you a temporary fix, so to get a life change you need a lifestyle change.

So how do you change your lifestyle? First its going to take some commitment and a little research. Most of all though, it is going to take a want and need to change. If you continue to do what you have always done, you will continue to receive what you have always received. So to see a different you, you are going to need to feed it differently. Once you have the determination to change your lifestyle, you need to decide what lifestyle is right for you.

Like I said, there are lots of fad diets out there trying to tempt you...but if you do your research you will find that there are some great styles of eating and living that are not only logical but also easy! I could go on for days with all the different things you can try, but I don't want to waste your time! Instead I am going to share 2 of my favorite lifestyle choices that are similar in style but slightly different based on your idea of including grains and beans in your diet. Here are the two lifestyles that I feel are a great start for a healthier you, along with some links to blogs that I have found helpful:

Clean Eating:
*Eating food in its natural state
*No white foods (flour, sugar, rice, ect.)
*Avoiding all refined or processed foods
*Lean proteins and healthy fats
*Lots of fruits and veggies, pref organic
*No preservatives, fast foods, or ALCOHOL
*No or limited dairy

The title is pretty self explanitory in this lifestyle of eating. You want to put just clean foods in your body. When you are adding processed and refined foods to your body, it makes it harder for your body to break down the foods. Also by cutting out the processed foods, your body is going to get everything you need out the food you are eating so it doesn't need to store the crap that turns into unwanted weight!

Favorite Sites:
He & She Eat Clean at http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/
*Great recipes, motivation, and fitness tips

Rabbit Food for My Bunny Teeth at http://rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/
*Although she has all vegetarian recipes, still lots of great stuff

The Gracious Pantry at http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/
*TONS of awesome recipes, tips, and information


PALEO:
*Known as "Primal" Eating
*Lots of grass fed lean meats
*Lots of fruits and veggies, pref organic
*Lots of nuts and healthy fats
*Consuming food in its most natural state
*No Sugars, Beans, Grains or Dairy

The premisis for this style of eating is to eat how our primal ancestors ate. Essentially like a caveman! You are going to eat food that we can easily find in nature...no processed foods! The reason for no dairy is because in nature no species consumes dairy in any form after infancy/youth. Since you are eating just nature based foods your body is only taking in what it needs and nothing more, again allowing you to lose weight and detox your system.

Favorite Sites:
*Tips, info, and lots of recipes

Multiply Delicious at http://www.multiplydelicious.com/
*An awesome mom that does paleo easy, including weekly menus

Everyday Paleo at http://everydaypaleo.com/
*Lots of easy recipes and motivation


***********************************************************************************

Now that I have shared some of my faves about both of these lifestyles, I want to share about how to be successful with a lifestyle change like this.

First, remember you are human! You will slip up, you will be tempted, you will have cravings and challenges. So embrace this and set yourself up for success not failure. You should go through your pantry and fridge and eliminate items that no longer fit your lifestyle and would just temp you. Think of it as a cleanse for your life and a benefit to your local food pantry!

Second, stop torturning yourself! Understand that when you do have a slip up you need to move on and get back on track. Just because you slip up once doesn't mean you have to give up. Accept it and keep moving forward!

Third, understand that nothing has to be 100%. For myself I try to eat 85% Paleo and 15% Clean Eating. Basically I eat mainly off the paleo standards but allow myself some grains on occassions. I still stick with the guidlines Clean Eating establishes for the grains I allow myself though.

Lastly, you have to allow yourself a splurge or two. If you have been invited out by the girls and you are going out for the evening...set your rules up ahead of time and allow yourself a splurge. Make sure to follow your rules and if you are going to indulge do it right. First decide what your splurge is going to be...for me I love dessert so I want to have an indulgent dessert everyonce in a while. So in order to do this, I make sure to set out my rules for the night so I can reward myself without the guilt. So my rules may be no alcohol, salad with lean protein, and 3-4 glasses of water throughout the meal. Then when I get my dessert I will be less likely to finish it all, and if I do I have set myself up for a healthy beginning to my meal so the splurge isn't as damaging! Now here is the most important thing about a splurge...if you are going to do, do it right. Thats right...splurge on the real thing. Studies show that if you splurge on the full fat, naughty items you wanted, you are less likely to over indulge and feel more satisfied. They have found that if you skimp on your splurge you feel like you not only cheated yourself, but feel guiltier because it didn't even hit the spot like you wanted it to!

So now you have some options to look into! Don't by any means think that these are your only options, but look at them as a start for your research into a healthier you!

No comments:

Post a Comment