Monday, June 25, 2012

Cha-Cha-Cha CHIA!

Since I was a child of the early 80's, I grew up with all the fad products that were heavily advertised on all the major TV channels...especially on Saturday morning during my favorite cartoons. We always saw various commercials for the Chia Pet, which came in numerous styles, shapes, and designs! Everyone thought they were so cool...no real function other then adding another plant to your house. Little did we know at the time that these seeds were more then just a crazy looking plant for your desk.

These amazing seeds are mild in flavor, just a slight nutty flavor, that are packed with fiber and calcium. This awesome seed can also absorb up to 12 times its own weight in liquid so it is great for helping you curb your appetite and allowing you to feel full without those crappy weight loss pills.

Here are my favorite ways to use these seeds:

1. Add to my smoothies/protein shakes: I add 1 tablespoon to my smoothie and blend it up right in the smoothie. This helps me stay full all morning long without getting cravings!

2. Add to my salads: I like to sprinkle a tablespoon of seeds on top of my salads as an added crunch. Its essentially like adding sesame seeds, but much better for you!

3. Chia Pudding: In a covered container I add 3 tablespoons of chia seeds to a cup of liquid such as almond milk or Greek yogurt. To add more flavors I will toss in some cut up peaches, raisins, or dried cranberries. Then simply place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight, and then devour! It reminds me of tapioca but much better!

4. Added to Protein Bars: I love making my own granola and protein bars so I know exactly what is going in them, and this allows me to add extra crunch and fiber! This way not only am I getting a great protein packed bar, but its also going to fill me up so I don't have to battle cravings throughout the day!


To find these amazing seeds, simply head to your grocery store! Most have them in the baking section, packaged by Bobs Red Mill:



Now that you know where to get them and how to use them...start adding them to your daily diet! It is easy to toss in here and there, and you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment